Lake Ohrid – beneath the warm Mediterranean sun
176 km from Skopje Alexander the Great Airport
Famous for its crystal-clear waters, Lake Ohrid is Macedonia's largest and most beautiful lake and has an impressive history. It was formed more than a million years ago and is therefore something of a holy grail for biologists. It has a unique ecosystem and has even been inscribed on UNESCO's prestigious World Heritage List, in recognition of its remarkable natural and cultural heritage.
Sport fishing draws passionate anglers to Ohrid from all over the world. The tranquil lake surrounded by mountains, its shores lined by attractive little Macedonian villages, is ideal for swimming and enjoying the warm summer days. Take a water taxi to visit the church of St John (Sveti Jovan) at Kaneo and enjoy a spectacular sunset and a unique view over the great expanse of Lake Ohrid – a unique destination for all who delight in the pleasant Mediterranean climate, delicious Macedonian cuisine and the friendly inhabitants of this area.
Other beautiful lakes:
- 7 Most Beautiful European Lakes
- Lake Bled – a magnificent pearl below the Alps
- Lake Bohinj – in the heart of Zlatorog's kingdom
- Lake Geneva – a cosmopolitan Swiss resort
- Lake Skadar – a beautiful natural sanctuary
- The Lakes, Copenhagen – beauty in the middle of the city
- Chiemsee – divine peace on a lake